Discover the Essential Information About Japan Work Visa
If you want to be a legal Japan employee, you must first get a work visa. Otherwise, you will be an illegal foreign worker because you do not have the documents. If you do not want to end up in that situation, you must get a visa. Before obtaining one, you must understand the requirements and the documents you need for the application.
Your application can be made in two ways: by hiring overseas workers and hiring those who are already in Japan. Their guidelines and requirements are different.
Kinds of Work Visas in Japan
Japan has almost 30 work permits and long-term visas depending on the job and why you moved to Japan. There are specific work visas for the occupation, including for artists, journalists, instructors, professors, skilled, and more. The kind of permit you must apply for determines the duration of your stay in Japan. Usually, the length is from three to five years.
Aside from the work permits based on occupations, Japan now has specific skills visas which are the following:
- A Specified Skilled Worker Visa – This one is for foreign workers who come to Japan for filling employment gaps in particular sectors.
- Specified Skills Visa 1-SSV1 – It is given to skilled workers who belong to particular industries, like agriculture, shipbuilding, and more.
- Specified Skills Visa 2-SSV2 – Applicants may renew this visa for as long as they want and bring their family to Japan. They can only apply for this visa after getting a higher level of field specialization.
Keep in mind that the requirements may differ depending on the visa. For instance, individuals might have to provide a CV and original university degree or a certificate to get a work visa. Other requirements are the following:
- Job offer from the company in Japan
- A visa application form
How to Apply for a Work Visa
- Get a certificate of eligibility
- Apply for the work visa
Getting the Certificate of Eligibility in Japan
All foreigners who want to enter Japan for long-term must get a Certificate of Eligibility from Japan’s Immigration services. It is your employer (sponsor) who will handle your COE application. You must send them the documents you need.
It does not serve as a replacement of the Work Visa because it is only a pre-requisite and you must apply for a Japan work visa from your country.
Applying for the Work Visa
- Go to the nearest Japan Embassy or Consulate
- Collect the documents you need for a work visa
- Apply for a Japan work visa directly or through an agency
- Collect your visa. After your work visa has been processed, you must go back for your passport. Once your application is approved, you can enter Japan.
The Documents You Need
- Submit your completed application form
- Submit a 4cm x 3cm photograph
- Give a return mail envelope that has a 392-yen stamp
- Combine all supporting documents
- Submit a letter of guarantee
In case you are applying for the specified skills visa, you must submit the points calculation to your employer. It will then be used to rate the qualifications of applicants, and you need above 70 points to be considered. Your employer must also prepare the following:
- Letter of guarantee
- Visa applicants list
- Invitation letter
- Details about your organization or company
- Japan Itinerary
How Long is the Process?
The processing time for this is between five to ten working days. However, getting a Certificate of Eligibility for work visa takes up to three months.
If you want to set up a business in Japan, then you need to take note of this for your future employees.